Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Vegan kickstart!


I've been a vegetarian for exactly six months now, so this seems like an appropriate day to start this attempt into veganism! I burst into vegetarianism really abruptly - I read Eating Animals, by Jonathan Foer, and thought "Well, gee, I can't eat meat anymore" and just stopped. I didn't call myself a vegetarian for a while, because I didn't want people being like "oh yeah? for one week? suuuure", but after about a month, I tentatively began using the label (because I had to, at a camp during spring break, where the vegetarian food options only went to self-identifying vegetarians!) I'd tried to go vegetarian in the past for various reasons, and it never lasted more than a few days, but this time, for whatever reason, it just worked, and except for one night in May where I accidentally ate a piece of pepperoni on otherwise perfectly fine cheese pizza and got sick to my stomach, I haven't eaten any meat since the end of February.

Over the summer I've been toying with the idea of veganism, but I just haven't quite been able to make the plunge, largely because I'm a) a cheap, miserly college student, and b) the world's worst cook. But you know... it doesn't hurt to try.

So, on this, the 6 month anniversary of my decision to stop eating meat, I'm sort of tentatively trying to feel my way into veganism, for the same reasons I went vegetarian - health & moral issues (the general inhumanity and incredible cruelty associated with the meat industry is present also in production of things like eggs, milk, basically any time you get industrialized animal husbandry like this, and while I wouldn't probably mind consuming milk or eggs from animals on my own farm or something, if I was actually living like that, I don't have enough access to those friendlier products in my actual life). So  I have been eyeing 21 Day Kickstart-- a veganism "kickstart" diet, just like it says on the tin, from the PCRM. I forgot I'd planned to start today, but at the end of the day my mother asked me how  I did and... as it turns out, I'd eaten entirely vegan today without even trying!

Breakfast: Multigrain Cheerios with almond milk (Blue Diamond) & fresh blueberries
Lunch: Morningstar Farm chik patties, more blueberries, some raw almonds & Trader Joe's Veggie Stix
Dinner: an Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger (seriously, it's vegan, I swear) from the glorious Native Foods, my favorite restaurant
Midnight snack: Silk chocolate soy milk and more blueberries, I have a huuuge bowl of them and I've been wolfing them down all day, there's almost nothing I love more than fresh blueberries.

So, see? None of that did I have to go out of my way for, none of it was hard to make - I didn't even cook anything, I had one meal out and the rest was microwave (for the chik patties) or no cookery at all. It was what I would have eaten today even if I hadn't been trying to eat vegan.

20 more days...!


ReadingShadowheart, by Tad Williams (#4 of the Shadowmarch "trilogy") -- still!
Listening: "Speak Now", Taylor Swift, whom I unabashedly adore
Watching: Project Runway, season 4 on DVD!

No comments:

Post a Comment